Scott Memorial Hospital’s Patient Family Advisory Board holds first meeting
August 22, 2018
The Board will help fulfill the mission of Scott Memorial Hospital
The Scott Memorial Hospital Patient Family Advisory Board (PFAB) had its first meeting July 18, 2018. The PFAB is comprised of past and present patients and family, community leaders and Scott Memorial Hospital staff members.
Scott Memorial Hospital PFAB members include:
- Charlotte Boswell, Financial Officer, Scott County Community Foundation
- Michael Everett, CEO, Scott Memorial Hospital
- Dawn Mays, CNO, Scott Memorial Hospital
- Greg Ramoni, Director, Scott County Emergency Communications
- Al Riggle, President, Kiwanis For the Kids-Scottsburg
- Jean Robbins, WIC Director, New Hope Services, Inc.
- Dr. Kevin Rogers, President of Medical Staff, Scott Memorial Hospital
The seven board members will aid in strengthening collaborations between patients, family members and care-givers in order to deliver high quality, compassionate health care. The Board will help fulfill the mission of Scott Memorial Hospital, which is making communities healthier.
PFABs are a productive way for patients and families to partner with a healthcare system to provide guidance on how to improve the patient and family experience. “Patients and their families are often the most knowledgeable members of the care team, and can offer unique perspectives and valuable feedback regarding the standard of care they receive,” said Dawn Mays, chief nursing officer at Scott Memorial Hospital.
Healthcare organizations have embraced this concept to not only learn from the consumer’s point of view and experience but also to integrate their ideas into service delivery and quality improvement efforts. This unique perspective from patients and families can positively impact care and assist with engineering a more customer-centered approach to the work of healthcare organizations.
"We have the opportunity to create a health care system that is truly patient-centered," said Michael Everett, chief executive officer at Scott Memorial Hospital, "but to be successful, we must listen to the patient experience and perceptions of care by engaging consumer representatives in our decision-making processes."
The PFAB’s goals are:
- To increase community outreach in order to promote the hospital as a resource to the community, providing information on a wide variety of patient-related issues, including patient safety, patient education, preventative services and program planning.
- To work in a collaborative and constructive manner with Scott Memorial Hospital staff to continually improve education on services, programs, and policies that directly impact patients, family members and staff; and
- To improve the hospital experience by providing a voice for patients, family members and staff directly to members of the hospital organization.
If you have any questions about the Family Advisory Board or are interested in joining the board, please contact Michael Everett at firstname.lastname@example.org.