Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Swing Bed Care Program
Swing Bed care fills the gap between hospital and home
What is the Swing Bed Care Program?
Despite the image created by the name, a “swing bed” is not a hammock or a bed suspended in any way. Swing Bed care is a specialty service provided only by select, licensed hospitals. It is used for a second level of medically-supervised care and is specifically designed to fill the gap between the patient’s hospital stay and going home. Patients may receive appropriate therapies, ongoing nursing care, IV medications or assistance with healing wounds. Most importantly, patients can begin to participate in their own care and continue their recovery before ever leaving the hospital.
Who is eligible?
Traditional Medicare Patients are eligible for the Swing Bed Care Program. Care Coordination will work with you to determine your eligibility and financial responsibility.Patients are evaluated and admitted to the Swing Bed Program based on their medical needs. Once it is determined that Swing Bed care is appropriate, in order to be admitted the patient must:
- Be accepted by a physician on our medical staff to oversee the care
- Need skilled nursing care or therapy for a short-term period of time
- Have a 3-day qualifying inpatient stay during the previous 30 days for the same illness
- Be willing and able to actively participate in therapy and the plan of care
Who should actively seek Swing Bed care?
- Transitional Care Physician
- Care Coordinators will ensure a smooth transition to the Swing Bed Program.
- They will be involved throughout the duration of your stay.
- Your Rehabilitation Team will include physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and other rehabilitation services as needed.
- An on-site Registered Dietitian will work with you to determine your nutritional needs, track your progress, make dietary recommendations, and provide education.
- On-site Radiology and Laboratory team
What should I expect during my stay?
Our focus is improving your physical, nutritional, and medical condition. During your Swing Bed stay, hospital staff and medical staff will work together to create a treatment plan and health goals specific to your needs. The team will also work together to determine your discharge plan for returning home.
For more information, contact Gearl Dean Williams at 812.752.8599 or email@example.com